Saturday, October 6, 2007

Week One of Fall Bow

Well, the Fall Bow season opened for me on the 29th of September, no more earn-a-buck. It was a tough early season, hot, dry temps, and no does killed, so I didn’t want to hunt my better spots because I just knew a buck would come in. On the morning of the 29th, I got up at 4:00am to begin my morning ritual, but first went for my bow to give it a pull. I had been having trouble with my left shoulder for about 15 months, and in the last week, my right one went bad on me. Sure enough, couldn’t get the bow back, so I went back to bed. I hunted in the afternoon anyway, hoping I could get the bow back if I needed to but, you guessed it, I had a shooting opportunity and couldn’t complete the draw.

Saw the doctor later in the week so he could read the MRI…torn rotator cuff in both shoulders, and torn bicep tendon in one. That is not what I wanted to hear, but he gave me a couple of shots to dull the pain and by today, I can get the bow back without too much pain. I’m down on strength a little, but can do it for a few practice shots each day and for the moment of truth if needed. So, the season started off a little rough for me. The hot dry weather, pain in the shoulders, and slow deer movement had sapped some of my motivation to get out and hunt. That has, however, allowed me to get a jump start on this blog because I’m not spending every minute in the woods like usual this time of year. I’m sure the first cool breeze with recharge me and I wont be able to get out enough. Looks like they are calling for rain and those cooler temps by the end of next week, we’ll see…

Good hunting-DV

2 comments:

Dan (aka Beaverkill) said...

I have been trying to ignore the shoulder pain. I am afriad I may have a tear also..Hopefully dont need surgery..What is the DR saying about your tear? What is the ultimate solution?

DV said...

I have to have another MRI done on each, this time with some sort of dye injected. If it's what he says it looks like, surgery on both shoulders. I've had pain for a while, can deal with that, but a tear results in loss of strength along with the pain.