Sunday, May 9, 2010

Turkey season was a bust

Well, "B" week for turkey season in NJ came and went and I never got a chance to get out. I probably will not buy any more permits either. I only have one or two more chances to hunt before the season ends, and it's not worth having to buy a permit for each day, so I guess I'm done. I really enjoy Turkey hunting, but do not enjoy having to buy a permit for each week-Monday to Friday, and then a different permit if I want to hunt Saturday. I would have to buy two permits for just a few hours to hunt on two mornings, and I can't justify doing that.

We will be going back out West chasing elk again this year, and I'm looking forward to that. My brother, Brian, and I did it last year and had a blast, so we are going back. Preparing for Elk season for me just means shaking off the rust and extra pounds from the holidays and long winter, and getting in shape for the Rockies. It also means getting my equipment tuned and ready. I began shooting alot more in preparing for last years trip and enjoyed that. I try to shoot my bows several days a week, even if just a dozen arrows, and that keeps me in good form.

I have two bows, a Mathews DXT that I keep set at 60 pounds, and has a 27.5 inch draw, and a Mathews Switchback XT that is set at 70 pounds, and a 28 inch draw. I bought the DXT after having shoulder surgery. It is a lighter draw weight than my previous bow, and has a much smoother draw, which is something someone with bad shoulders can appreciate. After fully recovering, and being able to draw 70 pounds again, I got a great deal on the Switchback XT, and picked that up as a back-up bow. I ended up shooting the SBXT better than I do the DXT, so it became my primary bow for elk and deer, until the weather turns cold. I shoot the DXT with a shorter draw and lighter draw weight when it gets cold and I have to wear more bulky clothing.

I shoot the same arrows from both: Easton Axis N-Fused 400's, with 125 grain Slick Trick Mag broadheads and blazer vanes. This set-up works very well for me. I hunted 4 states last year and ended up killing 6 deer, a turkey, a coyote, several groundhogs, and an assortment of other small game with them. I'm looking forward to seeing what this year brings.

Good Hunting
DV

No comments: