Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Back in the stand.

Well on 11/16, Friday afternoon, after work, I slipped in to a stand I have on a small food plot. It was very windy, and pretty darn cold too. I figured this would be a good spot because it’s hidden back in the cover a little off the field, which gives the deer some security and protection from the wind in the open field. I have noticed the past few days that the fall colors are just barely past their peak, and it’s the middle of November. We don’t usually have leaves on the trees this late into the year but I’m enjoying the brilliant display of falls finest these last few days.

My foodplot finally came up and actually grew pretty well, thanks to good rainfall and warm temperatures later in the fall than normal. It’s mostly brassica’s, and usually by this time of year, the deer have really turned on to this food source. However this year they haven’t touched them. I don’t understand it. There are basically no acorns on this part of the farm, the bean fields have been harvested for some time, and my brassica plot seems like it would be a likely place to see a deer, yet the plants look untouched. I quickly climbed the tree and settled in anyhow, thinking maybe today would be the day they decide to start on the plot. The tire tracks through the plot were just a sign of bad things to come, and evidence of why hunting has been very slow on this piece.


The wind whipped the trees around until just before dark. At 5:02pm, I heard a shot so loud it nearly made me jump form the stand. Someone had just fired into our hayfield, probably at a deer. I grabbed my cell phone from my pocket and hit the game wardens number on the speed dial…voice mail, figures. I left him a message and tuned my ears for sounds of a vehicle entering the field. After straining for ten minutes, I didn’t hear anything that sounded like someone retrieving a deer, but I did hear a snap and turned to see a small doe 10 yards away. She had slipped in under the cover of the gusting wind and was now nervously pacing the edge of the plot. Whether it was from the strong wind, or the shot in the field, that deer was extremely wary and she never got up the nerve to enter the open. As shooting light faded, I scurried down the tree and hurried to the edge of the hayfield. I waited there for some time to see if the poacher would attempt to recover a deer under the cover of darkness, but really didn’t even know if the outlaw hit his target. After 20 minutes of no action, I returned to my truck and stowed my gear.

On my way home I stopped at the neighbors house to see if she had heard the shot and noticed a vehicle. She said she hadn’t on this particular day but, according to her, people shoot into that field once or twice a week from the road, and trucks are driving in and out of it all the time, has been that way all year. She related that a few times a week, she sees them drive into the field and vanish into the woods, will often hear shots “back there”, and then see the trucks drive out, sometimes as late as 11:30pm. The road out of the hayfield leads through the woods, through my plot and to the harvested bean field. From seeing the tire tracks through the plot, I can tell the poachers have been visiting this place regularly over the last few weeks while I was in Ohio.


She said she has called the State Police so many times they don’t even respond any longer, and at that moment I understood why our luck on this farm has been so bad. I could do an entire book on how much I despise trespassing jerks like those that constantly plague our leased property, but I don’t feel like getting that angry right now. Hopefully I’ll be writing in the next few weeks about how I caught the poaching dirtbags in the act and got the last laugh.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and I’ll be out trying again. Have a happy Thanksgiving.

Good hunting-DV

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always a few bad apples who ruin it for everyone. I have personally never experienced anyone trespassing onto a property I have hunted, but I can tell you that man it irritates me that people would poach.

Don't let it discourage ya too much and eventually they will make a mistake an get caught. Lets hope that happens soon.

Doug Skinner said...

While I haven't had to deal with poachers this year, I am fed up with four wheelers cruising through private property and tearing up the woods...

On a much lighter note, I've never planted food plot...How big would you say it should be to support deer cruising into a field? I think it would be a perfect solution for my frustration..

DV said...

Depends on what you want to use the plot for Doug. If you want to feed the deer, make it as big as you can, or can afford. If you want a hunting plot, make it smaller so you can shoot across it. The one in the picture with tire tracks through it is about 30 yards to the far side from the stand. It's also surrounded by brush piles from clearing the spot, so they can only enter it from the open field, or past my stand.

Doug Skinner said...

Nice, I think I'm going to give that a try next year...

Anonymous said...

I HATE poachers too! We used to have a real problem with them as well, but then I put up our trailcam at an intersection of our property that you almost have to pass by. The result, one group of turkey poachers and one group of thieves stealing our old farm equipment to sell to the scrap yard.
We had the local thieves prosecuted, and since we could never find the out-of-town turkey poachers, I just put their picture up all over all small town. They can now never hunt anywhere near here again without being identified!
You can see the shots at my site www.lowcountryhunting.com under the "poachers" category.
Also wanted to let you know that I enjoyed your site.
Jeff

DV said...

Thanks Jeff, you have a nice site too. I used to live down in the Charleston area, fished lake Moultrie and Marion, and hunted a little in Francis Marion, the skeeters were just a little mich for me in August.

DV