Sunday, December 2, 2007

Getting ready for gun season.

Tomorrow, December 3rd, begins New Jersey 6-day firearm season. It's a day I look to with mixed feelings every year. On one hand, it brings great anticipation of whats to come. Even though me and my brothers never do that well during the gun season, it's always a fun week to be out in the woods...or at least it used to be. What it has become in the last several years is why I now have mixed emotions about it. My farm in Alloway Township is the constant target of poaching outlaws who and drive the land. I spend much of my time patrolling it or getting down to pursue trespasser when I hear a shot from our property. I will be out there much of the opening day, but in the afternoon, I will be going to sit with my brother and his daughter to video tape their first hunt. Patrolling the farm that afternoon will have to be left to the other guys who hunt it.

I usually do alot of video taping each season, but this year, camera problems and the fact I could never hook up with my brothers to either tape them or have them run the camera for me prevented me from getting much footage. We usually put together some good hunts on video, and I like to do a short clip summary of the season. Here is one from last year.


I don't have too much material to do one this year, but maybe I'll get some good footage Monday afternoon.

Good hunting-DV

4 comments:

Doug Skinner said...

So, how'd you make out during deer week this year? I've talked to a couple of guys who said kills were down a bit this year...

DV said...

I only hunted a few times. I spent most of the week keeping trespassers off my Alloway lease. I don't get to hunt 6-day much anymore because of the trespassing issue. Patrolling it is one of the reasons I get to hunt it, so I let the other 2 guys hunt it that week and just keep the poachers out.

How did you make out?

Doug Skinner said...

To be honest, since there is a Bow season from Sept. to what Feb., I don't really gun hunt...I spend most of my excess cash on fishing, so there's not a whole lot left for firearms...But I love bowhunting...

DV said...

I enjoy all deer hunting but get the most enjoyment out of bow hunting, so will most likely do just that next year. Well, that and some video taping during deer season, and maybe some fall fishing.