Friday, February 8, 2008

A glimpse of Spring



Last Saturday and Sunday we had some very mild weather for early February in this part of the Northeast. Temperatures poked into the 50's here in Southern New Jersey, so I took the opportunity to do a little winter trout fishing in one of our local, stocked ponds. I've fished here in the spring a few times and done okay, but a few friends told me the winter fishing is great because there is alomst no pressure. So Sunday morning, I loaded up my kayak, scraped the frost from my windshield and made my way to the pond. There was one fisherman on the bank, and a skim of ice making it's way several feet out from shore. It was a beautiful day, blue skies and warm sunshine, virtually no wind, and a mild 45 degrees by 11:00am, but no fish for me, or for the bank angler. The three eagles flying overhead didn't fare much better, and the only finned friend I saw all morning was a dying carp struggling on the surface.


One thing I did realize though is that I desperately need my reels fitted with new line. It seemed like I spent more time untangling knotted line than I did fishing, but hey, at least I discovered that early. I'll have plenty of time to get my gear ready for the start of the Spring fishing season, and it can't get here soon enough.

5 comments:

Editor said...

hopefully spring will be here with blooming flowers next week if we can just get rid of these tornados.

SimplyOutdoors said...

Looks like a good day whether there was fish caught or not.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't mind a glimpse of spring. We had temperatures that were below zero yesterday. The snow is getting a little old as well.

Looks like you had better weather there.

Anonymous said...

Wintertime fishing is tough. It's always worth a try though. I'm excited about spring as well, and you just reminded me to re-spool my reels!

DV said...

Funny, looking back on this it was just a few days before my surgery, and I had no pain in my right shoulder after paddling around out there. Makes you wonder how it could have been soooo bad. Still can't lift my arm all the way up so trout fishing from the kayak will be out when season opens next week.